Skip to main content

Thing 12: News Literacy

One of the hottest topics in today's society. Is it real or is it fake news? News literacy has become one of those topics that need to be taught in order for students to succeed well. Is everything you see on the internet real? No, but not everyone believes that some people truly believe that "everything" they see online is real. I have the argument with my father on a weekly basis- many times when we talk he'll start the conversation with "did you see what was on Yahoo this week?" My response almost every time- "No, dad- I don't use Yahoo."

Many of my teachers in school have the students complete articles of the week or the month and we are sure to show them reputable news sites or databases that they can use. The science teacher that works collaboratively with me throughout the year has started to have her students use Today's Science database so that they are pulling real and reputable articles about science. It is important to have students looking at the evidence that will help to build the program. I am hopeful to work more with the classes next year to show other ways to determine if websites are trustworthy or not.

While at the EMTA conference in March I learned about a program I have never heard of before- News Literacy Project. I was able to get licenses to finish out the school year with my 7th and 8th-grade students. Their math, science, ELA and social studies teachers are willing to let me pull their kids for a few days so that I can implement the basic lessons of this program and begin the News Literacy Journey with our students.
We will begin lesson 1 on Monday with a group of students (I, of course, had to wait for state testing to be done).

So far I have been able to work with 1/2 of the 8th grade and all of the 7th grade for Checkology.org. The students have provided feedback that they like this program more than i-ready-"it isn't as little kidish" -one student... They all also feel like it is appropriate for their age level and are looking forward to learning more.
I will, however, not have enough time to complete all 10 lessons this year but I"m hopeful to implement the program from the beginning next year and push in once a "cycle" with each group of students to get them started early on. The students I feel will need to repeat the few lessons this year just to get a reminder and refresher on what they will inevitably forget over the summer.

I also had my district purchase Fact vs. Fiction: Teaching critical thinking skills in the age of fake news, so that I could read the book and learn from one of the greats.

Comments

  1. Some great choices! And yes, as you said, they need this reinforced many times. I always hope that students will take news literacy ideas home to their parents and grandparents. Such an important issue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 4: Twitter-Facebook-PLN

I decided to try Thing 4 out first this year. The video to start out Thing 4 really blew my mind! More people own a mobile device than a toothbrush! EWW! Over 50% of our population is younger than 30- that is a scary thought! Granted I am just over that threshold but that is a huge realization that more than half of the people in the world are under 30. Technology is a huge part of their lives and how they interact. The other statistic that blew me away was the one about their sense of smell. 53% of Millenials would rather lose their sense of smell than their technology. This is huge if a person would rather not be able to smell. With the ever-changing world of technology, our attention span is also decreasing. We currently have a smaller attention span than a goldfish! How is a person supposed to work/ go to school or anything if they can only keep their attention for 7 seconds? That is definitely not long enough to do much of anything.   This is a huge problem today (in my opinion),

Thing 18 Student Assessment & Feedback Tools

I always struggle with running formative assessments. I have no problem giving the "test" at the end but checking along the way has always been a challenge. So I decided to try out Thing 18 and see what is out there to help me along the way :-) I have used Padlet in the past as a bulletin board or introduction board with classes-but never as a formative assessment so it was interesting to me to see that it could, in fact, be used that way. I then tried AnswerGarden. I sent out a test garden to the librarians in my region asking them for their favorite authors.  Demo with librarians I'm awaiting replies as I type, it looks pretty cool once there are a lot of answers plugged in. The more people with the same answer the larger the words are in the cloud. I like this because it will be helpful to show who has similar likes for projects.  I'm hopeful to see how it turns out with librarians before implementing it into one of my classrooms. I have a few ideas of how I

Thing 28: Anything Goes Google

This year my district decided to have 4th-6th-grade specials every other day for 10 weeks. Well, this is great if I was actually in the district every other day. I'm not and I haven't been. For the past five years, my shared position has been cycle days "2,3,5" which has worked great up until this year.  With the change this year a different teacher (the technology and woodshop teacher to be exact) has been "teaching" my classes on the days I'm not there.  To help with this I implemented Google Classroom this year to be able to teach to my students when I'm not in the district. This has made things both very complicated and difficult, to say the least. Not only am I trying to get through the difficult tasks of teaching databases, research skills, media literacy and more I now have to rely on someone else to "hopefully" do the same. It has been a horrible schedule and hopefully, it'll be fixed for next year. However, Google Classroom a